We are an established, prose-centred writing group with a focus on fiction. We meet in Ipswich on the last Thursday of the month at 7pm for 7.30pm. Our annual membership fee is in the region of £10 to £12 to cover room hire.
We hope to appeal to those who have been writing for some time or have a project in hand, who want coherent, intelligent criticism and support and who are capable of giving such criticism themselves. Please note, we are not a creative writing class.
Our intention is to be rigorous but friendly, to provide mutual assistance to writers from the environs of Ipswich who are serious about their work, to give them an opportunity to get away from their desks and interact with other writers.
If you are interested in joining us, you should contact IWG at the email address below in the first instance, stating your writing experience and outlining any project you are working on at present. If it sounds like there might be a fit between your writing and that of the group members, you will be asked to submit a short sample of your work. If the piece is suitable for the group you will be placed on our waiting list until such a time as a place becomes available. We like to keep the group small so that all members can be fully involved in submitting and critiquing.
How We Operate
- Members wishing to submit work for review must do so at least two weeks prior to the meeting
- The word limit is 3,000 words
- Members attending the meeting must review all submissions and bring along marked-up scripts
- At the meeting, those submitting must listen without challenging, only seeking clarification where necessary
- Feedback should be honest but constructive – all points need to be backed up, allowing members to move their work forwards
- We do not like rudeness, big egos or grandstanding
- We are open-minded – bigotry, dogma and passive aggression have no part to play in our group
- Members should come away from our meetings feeling supported, motivated and with lots of positive suggestions and/or encouragement for their work
Please contact Paul (firstname.lastname@example.org).